Monday, January 21, 2019

howlin' wolf moon eclipse?





Being that it was being billed as a rare partial lunar eclipse during a Wolf Moon and I didn’t even have to leave my driveway to see it, well, I stayed put, sitting very close to where I watched the Queen of the Night bloom last October and the monarch butterflies begin their long journey to Mexico the same month. And who could forget the poor dazed and confused wood thrush in 2017? 

There's a lot that goes on outside if you are just mindful enough to pay attention. 

The first full moon after the New Year is called a “Wolf Moon” after the howling wolves, but since we killed all the wolves and now they have been replaced by yipping coyotes, we should really call it the “Coyote Moon.”

After 9 p.m. clouds started to move in and it became a peek-a-boo partial eclipse Coyote Moon and did I mention it was very cold?

Giving up after 10:30, I went in to soak in a hot tub. Did I mention it was 16 degrees outside?

But luckily I checked one last time before bed and the clouds were gone, so I hung with it until after midnight. Really quite wonderful. The Druids who live in the woods behind me with the coyotes were overcome with ecstasy as was I. 

Not a great photo. Best I could do with cell phone and cold hands.






No comments: