Wednesday, January 24, 2018

butter-butt




One interesting bird to look for this time of the year is the yellow-rumped warbler, a.k.a. myrtle warbler (long story, come to one of my Birds & Biscuits at Ijams and I will explain).

The photo is one in its drab winter plumage, but they retain the bright yellow rump which leads to the sobriquet, "old butter butt."

This warbler is only here in winter and will come to your suet feeder but I have yet to sneak close enough to get a photo. I did catch one with a titmouse at my heated bird bath with my cell phone camera, see below. Forgive the quality but it IS a phone after all. Maybe Nikon should start added a way to make calls on their 35mm cameras to get even. 

Soon yellow-rumps will molt into their much more striking breeding plumage and migrate north to their nesting grounds primarily in Canada.










No comments: