Saturday, October 8, 2011

kitty mama



Young birds imprinting on other animals (even humans) and following them around as though they were their parents is a common story you often read about, but what about babies that imprint on other babies?

Debbie Cavanaugh's email read:

I had unexpected overnight guests last night:

At about 6:45 last night, an orange tabby kitten walked into my front yard, followed by...a duck! I know, I know, a cat, a duck and a rabbi walked into a.... no I'm getting sidetracked.

The little duck is imprinted on the cat and follows him everywhere. You should have seen it running across the yard with its little wing stubs flapping like mad, trying to catch up with the cat. It peeps like crazy if kitty isn't in sight and cleans him up after eating. 

Both are very friendly and enjoy being held and petted. Kitty is about four months old? Duck is of unknown parentage—but I have learned after talking to several wildlife people that it is wild. They enjoyed an evening in my garage. After a big plate of cat food, plus a cricket for the duck, they immediately fell asleep and slept all night. The duck peeps in his sleep (peep-snoring)! After breakfast this morning, they settled in again and were napping when I left the house.

I haven't found any "missing cat and duck" listings, and after many, many phone calls and web searches this morning, I found a home for the duck with a wildlife rehabilitator. She thinks ducky will be OK without the cat and she and her husband will love on it a lot tonight to make sure it doesn't pine for its companion. 

We'll keep in touch in case someone reports them missing. I'll keep the kitty for a while to make sure he isn't lost, [Debbie has named it Ginger Baker. Those alive in the '60s will understand the reference.] then I will vet him and find him a home. [I'm not sure if the original Ginger Baker received such kindnesses, although the cream of drummers is still very much alive so perhaps he did.]

I feel honored to have been their temporary guardian! 

Thanks, Debbie.

• 

2 comments:

Patricia Lichen said...

Aw, seems such a shame to break them up! Maybe because it's a wild duck rather than domestic?

Anyway, this story reminds me of a new book I saw just the other day: "Unlikely Friendships: 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom

(http://www.amazon.com/Unlikely-Friendships-Remarkable-Stories-Kingdom/dp/0761159134/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318313832&sr=8-1)

These two would have been at home in that book...

A Colorful World said...

Absolutely adorable! It's wonderful that the kitten didn't seem to have its natural instincts honed and accepted the duck. I agree--too bad to break them up!