Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bayou DeView




I recently heard from Ethan Duke, who worked part time for Ijams Nature Center a year ago. Ethan's passion is the feathered ones.

"I'm living in the swamps of Arkansas...spending a lot of time in Bayou De View and the White River Wildlife Management Area. I'm studying pileated woodpeckers. We have five birds on-the-air and 15 re-sights of past years' birds. The swamp is a magical, magical place my friend. I'll be here through the end of June. You are welcome to visit anytime. Bring waders and a love of big trees."

As indeed I should. And I do own waders. Must put this on my to-do list, since I do love big trees and Bayou De View was the place that several people spotted an ivory-billed woodpecker a few years ago.

I'm also just finishing a book about Jim Tanner and the historic ivory-bill of the 1930s to be published by UT Press this fall.


No comments: